Plant growth requires the functionality of all its parts. Roots have several roles and responsibilities that make them essential to the health of an entire plant. Buried and (mostly) hidden beneath layers of soil, however, the significance of healthy root systems can often be overlooked.
Roots for Life
Roots are essential to the survival of a plant. They are responsible for many tasks responsible for the development of a shrub or tree, among which include the following:
- Anchorage and support for plants, keeping them firmly attached to the soil. Root reach extends far beyond that of a tree’s branches or a shrub’s leaves, making roots valuable protection against soil erosion.
- Storing and transporting necessary nutrients, air, and water from soil to the leaves which, in turn, transforms into much-needed energy.
- Secreting a compound that encourages microorganisms to help protect the plant from disease and promote better absorption of nutrients.
Pruning and trimming might make your plants look like superstars, but these won’t guarantee health if the roots are neglected. Deep root feeding can help your trees and shrubs remain strong and continue thriving.
Deep root feeding reinforces root structures, promoting the overall health of the plant:
- Promoting root growth. The size of a plant is limited to the size of its root system. Encouraging growth and development for roots helps trees and shrubs to grow. This provides a more stable anchorage when they increase in size.
- Reducing soil compaction and promoting soil aeration. Trees or other plants growing in compact soil have a more difficult time accessing the nutrients they need. Deep root feeding enhances nutrient absorption by aerating the soil.
Trees and shrubs need tender loving care. Relying on ordinary methods of fertilization may not be enough to provide plants what they need to be healthy and strong. Healthy roots make productive plants.
Give roots the nourishment they need with deep root fertilization; experts can help. Contact Timberlane Tree Services toll-free at 1-888-718-8733 for professional arborists in Toronto, Aurora, and nearby areas.